Monday, November 10, 2008

a little change for a change, would be nice

I've written 5 new pieces in the last 2 days....totaling over a hundred new lines of verse, and they're all crap. I mean utter crap. Possibly good by some people's standards...but still absolute crap.

With the exception of one. It should, I suppose, be the sixth. I jotted it down during a sudden stroke of inspiration in class today. Five lines long...less than thirty syllables, and still the best piece I've composed in months.

Months!

What the hell is wrong with me?


I have less than a month until I get to return home for a week. I miss my old friends, and my family. They usually cry now, when I talk to them on the phone.


The voice isn't always the same.

Think of it this way: If you had a chance of a lifetime, and you knew it would take giving up most of everything and everyone that you love, would you still do it?

I think I would. If I had to do it all over again, I think I would have done it all the same.

Well....pretty much everything all the same. I probably would have told that nasty manager at McDonald's that she could kiss my road-weary ass, I'm bringing my exhausted cat inside, with her carrier whether she likes it or not.

But that, my friends, is something different entirely.


Well...I liked it enough, might as well share it. Too short to workshop anyway.



Iconoclasm

God drew my image
in a reflecting pool--
with lovers on casting
lines, so many locusts
hovering 'round.



Goodnight world.

John out.

1 comment:

Julie said...

tit for tat...a partial poem still working itself out...

Grand Coulee

You will squint at the aerial view
so the inlet scroll is
a nautilus or embryo
mock fetal hopes
where no body
can grow
and I will tell you we are salmon