Friday, September 12, 2008

An Initial Introduction

My name is John, and this blog will serve as a tiny window into my world, wherein I plan to publish only the most important details that make up my everyday experiences. Notably, however, the true intention of this blog is to chronicle the coming years of my life in sort of a quasi-autobiographical manner. Only the important things will matter, and you (my audience) will hear about them.

I am 22 years old (currently), and recently graduated from the University of West Florida in Pensacola with a Bachelor's Degree in English. I currently live in Corvallis, Oregon--a small town approximately one hour south of Portland with my beautiful fiance and two cats. My reason for being so far from home is quite the topic for discussion, and therefore this blog will be dedicated to it. I enrolled at Oregon State University as a graduate student, pursuing an MFA in creative writing, poetry. Part of this blog will display some of the experiences I have while chasing this degree, along with news updates concerning events, readings, festivals, etc. There is a reason for this...

During the application process (the many days I spent waiting for acceptance/response letters from the schools to which I applied), I relied heavily on the blogs of other applicants to give myself a place in the world. It was helpful knowing that other people were feeling the same pressures and anxieties as I. In a way, albeit sadistic, it was satisfying and relieving to know that others were suffering along with me. Those blogs served as educational tools and coping mechanisms.

Concurrently, many soon-to-be graduates from institutions around the nation will be deciding upon programs that interest them and applying to those programs. It is my hope that this blog can assist in the learning process, if not as an institution-specific account of my own personal experience as an MFA candidate, but as a general experiential account of the entire process from start to finish.

Of course, this blog will also contain many of my personal experiences that may or may not relate directly to my educational and professional pursuit, but I like to look at the big picture...and really, they ARE one and the same.

Comments are welcome. I encourage questions, although I should note that by no means do I have all of the answers. I can, however, assist in many of the provisional or technical queries pertaining to the application process, programs, what to look for, etc. I want this blog to serve as both an educational tool and a means of entertainment.

I encourage you to check back frequently. Good luck to all of the 2008 MFA applicants.

2 comments:

Eduardo C. Corral said...

welome to blogging. looking forward to your posts.

doesn't david biespiel teach there? i love what he's doing with poetry northwest.

John Peacock said...

Yes! He does teach here. I met him briefly when I visited the campus in June, and so I have not had adequate time to become acquainted just yet. I am told I will likely be involved with his workshop courses starting in either the winter or spring term, 2009.

Yes, he has done fabulous things with poetry northwest. I'm delighted someone agrees.

Thank you for reading, keep checking back.